The 2017 contest now closed. Thank you to everyone who contributed. We expect to be able to announce the winners by the end of October.
Wiki Loves Monuments UK is part of the world’s largest photo contest
During September 2017 we welcome submissions of high-quality images of UK listed buildings and scheduled monuments.
The contest is open to absolutely everyone, and participation is completely free. UK and international prizes this year include a Canon DSLR EOS 5D Mark IV camera plus Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens, and cash awards for the best images.
- Read the competition rules
- Learn how to enter
- Find sites to photograph and upload your images using our interactive map.
Wiki Loves Monuments is an international event which takes place every September. The competition is designed to bring together amateur and professional photographers alike to capture images of the world’s historic monuments. It is sponsored by Wikimedia UK and Archaeology Scotland.
These photos are then shared under free licences via Wikimedia Commons, a free media repository which amongst other things provides most of the images for Wikipedia sites around the world (currently available in 294 languages).
Wiki Loves Monuments is special:
- Since the global competition began in 2011 there have been more than 1 million entries. Over 40 countries participated in 2016
- The winners, and indeed many entrants, will see their photos used in Wikipedia articles with a potential audience in the hundreds of millions
- All entrants help to provide a range of locally-sourced images that are available for use on Wikipedia and elsewhere.
Aside from being great fun, Wiki Loves Monuments is a way of capturing a snapshot of our nation’s cultural heritage for future generations and documenting our country’s most important historic sites. The collections gathered throughout the years of the competition are growing into an incredibly useful historical resource.
Entrants from outside the UK are most welcome to enter photos that were taken in the UK. Entrants in the UK but with photographs from abroad are welcome to participate in any of the other national contests.
Press and media enquiries: Please see the media page.
Questions? Having problems entering? Please leave a message on the FAQ page and we will be happy to help.
Become a member of Wikimedia UK for just £5 a year to support free, open knowledge and be part of the Wikimedia community in the UK.