Wiki Loves Monuments will return to the UK, 1–30 September 2014!
Welcome to Wiki Loves Monuments, the UK section of the world’s largest photography competition!
Wiki Loves Monuments is an annual event which takes place across the globe every September. This year, the UK is taking part for the second time. The competition is designed to bring together people who value their local historic environment with amateur and professional photographers alike to capture images of the world’s historic monuments.
These photos are then shared with the world under free licences via Wikimedia Commons, a free media repository which amongst other things provides most of the images for Wikipedia. The competition is supported by the charity Wikimedia UK, the local chapter of the global Wikimedia movement.
Entries can be images taken specially for the competition, or photographs you have taken in the past.
Entrants from outside the UK are most welcome to enter photos that were taken in the UK. Entrants in the UK but with photographs from abroad are welcome to participate in any of the other national contests.
There are many things that make Wiki Loves Monuments special:
- The competition is led and driven by a global network of volunteers
- The competition is open to absolutely everyone, and participation is completely free
- Over 40 countries participated in 2013 across six continents
- Over 368,000 photos were entered in the competition in 2013
- The winners (and indeed many non-winners) will see their photos used in Wikipedia articles with a potential audience in the hundreds of millions
- All entrants help to provide a range of locally-sourced images that are available for use on Wikipedia and elsewhere.
Aside from being great fun, Wiki Loves Monuments is a way of capturing a snapshot of our nation’s cultural heritage for future generations, documenting our country’s most important historic buildings. Over time, the collections gathered throughout the competition will become an incredibly useful historical resource.
Our team of volunteers is happy to help in any way they can. Just complete the form below and someone will be in touch.
Press and media enquiries: Please see the media page.